We have just got back from a lovely trip to Price Edward Island (PEI) just a ‘short’ 2 1/2 hour ride away from where we are staying in Nova Scotia.
We will share some of trip with you in a future blog but, for now, we would like to guide you through how (not) to road trip with a baby.
- Do NOT go to the beach the day before.
You WILL be exhausted when you get home and you will not pack your bags as planned.
- Do NOT plan to leave the house ‘around 9am’.
Baby will choose the morning of your road trip to wake up at 5:15am and blow raspberries for 45 minutes, followed by a 15 minute impromptu dance party at the foot of your bed. Just as baby is falling asleep, he will kick sand in your eye as you were too tired to bathe him the night before, and there is still a sahara desert worth of sand in-between his toes.
- Do NOT forget to set an alarm.
The baby who generally wakes you up around 7 most mornings will have exhausted you from aforementioned dance party and you will wake up around 9:30am.
- Do NOT give baby porridge for breakfast.
Just, don’t. OK?
- Do NOT pack whilst baby is eating their breakfast.
You will understand why when on your road trip all of your clothes have a slightly sticky feeling…
- Do NOT run out of disposable diapers that morning.
A trip to Walmart is not at the top of anyones list of things to do after a 5:15am dance party.
- Do NOT plan on stopping for coffee on the way.
Actually, yes, do plan this but plan for coffee at 3-5 various stopping points.
- Do NOT arrange to meet an old friend for dinner the night you arrive.
Baby will be exhausted, scream until he is given food, throw food on the floor and refuse to eat it. Baby will then be starving and reach for Daddy’s food and spill an entire pint of water over Daddy. Daddy will spend the evening looking like he had an accident.
- Do NOT forget to pack a few beers for the evening.